Thursday, October 14, 2010

PE2 - Garage Band + Yamaha Keyboard = :) (Part 2 of 3)

I have an older Yamaha PSR-410 keyboard and I wondered if it would be possible to get this ancient keyboard to work with Garage Band?

Me Playing A Tune on a Keyboard

The rear of the keyboard has the old 5-pin serial MIDI IN and OUT ports so there was hope.  Would these old serial ports still work?  Were they fast enough to interface with a high speed MacBook Pro?

MIDI IN and OUT Ports

I did some research on Amazon and found this cable, EMU Midi 1x1 Cable From Amazon. Thanks to the Amazon comment and rating system I learned that this cable would work in a MacBook Pro without any additional drivers or software?  Could it really be that easy I asked myself. Could this project really only cost $29.99?

Midi Cable

The cable arrived from Amazon and he moment of truth was at hand. I plugged it into the USB port and voila, Garage Band immediately recognized the external MIDI input and when I pressed a key on the keyboard it played a note using the active instrument in Garage Band.

USB Midi Cable Plugged into MacBook Pro
No more using the cheesy onscreen keyboard in Garage Band for me.   I can now record an instrument using a MIDI keyboard.  Mac truly makes this all too easy.  Also, the MIDI interface is blazing fast.  There is no noticeable lag between a keyboard key press and sound events.


Garage Band - Showing a MIDI Keyboard Recording

1 comment:

  1. Michael,
    You have inspired me to try to do the same thing with my keyboard. I have a Casio and have wondered if it would work with Garage Band. First I have to make sure I have the correct cords to connect the keyboard to the laptop. I will definitely try and cannot wait to start making music and printing out the sheet music of my compositions. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete