Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Wk 2 Comment #1 - Ginny Holm on the Holm Front II

Source: The Holm Front II

Ginny, I like your "man on the street" rule. That is a great way to explain copyright. If you think about it, if it were to go to court, a jury would have to decide if the work was infringing and I always think of the Vanilla Ice vs. Queen where Vanilla Ice and DJ Earthquake allegedly sampled the bass-line from "Under Pressure."


Even though there was a one note difference, the jury or "man on the street" thought it was close enough to be an infringing work.

Like you, I support the CC but I also feel that we need a healthy public domain. CC is a second best solution and Copyrights and I am against allowing Copyrights to be handed down to generations of family members. This discourages the creation of new works and promotes the idle rich class.

No comments:

Post a Comment